Trash to Treasure....Antique headboard bench!
I'm writing this on Sunday night. I'm so excited that I just have to post this for you to read first thing on Monday morning! I have a meeting at 9am, and this couldn't wait til afternoon!!!
The Hubs had a meeting tonight so I put the kiddos to bed and just finished sewing a pillow a little bit ago. I'm now happily perched on my bed with jammies on, 27 Dresses on the TV (fab-o movie if you need a great chick flick), a handful of Cabury chocolate eggs (the little ones with the crunchy shells), and my computer chocked full of pictures of my latest project just for you!!
It's time to reveal the antique headboard I converted into a bench! Just have to warn you...there are ALOT of pictures. I documented how we did it to show you in case you happen to score a cool headboard and need to do something with it other than attach it to the end of a mattress!
Below is my big helper and me. We sanded the headboard down a little to reveal some of the layers of paint, and then we cleaned it off really well.
Above on the right, are the 2 pieces of wood (1x8, and 1x10) for the seat that I stained using MinWax walnut stain. Below is the frame that I made for the seat. The Hubs cut the first piece that fit along the back between the posts, and then I measured, cut, and screwed the rest of the inner part of the frame together. Then I pre-drilled holes into the legs and attached them to the outside of the frame. We put a piece of 1x3 along the front to give a bit more stability and make the legs look flush along the front.
Because of how I had to attach the legs on the outside of the frame, The Hubs cut a couple of little blocks to mount the 1x3 along the outside and make the leg look flush with the side again.
<----So here it is up close...it was still wet in this picture, so the color does look a little off. Trust me, it's just right! Remember the giant gouge that was in the top of the headboard too...yeah, I painted over that as well! All it needed now was to dry and then be sanded down to show all those beautiful layers that Tid Bit so carefully painted!
Ok...so see below! Sanded down a bit to make the new part look old too! I think it turned out pretty smashingly!
When I started looking at it all done and pretty, I decided that it needed a little something cushy! The other day I was thinking of upholstering the back, then I thought of upholstering the seat, then I decided I liked it so much just like this, but I now had a dropcloth that I'd washed and dried to do something amazing with...so I made pillows! And because I didn't want to spend more on a monogram than I did on a 4x12 length of dropcloth, I decided to create a stencil and paint our initial onto the pillows!
I didn't do a tutorial on how to make a pillow. I figured I'd taken enough pictures today and honestly, there are a million pillow tutorials out there! If you really want me to do one sometime though, I will, but you will have to comment and say so!
So here it is...the bench AND the pillow! In fact, I actually made 2 pillows, but need an insert for the other one...so hopefully you can get the jist with only one!
So that's it! I'm pretty pleased with it! Now all I have to do is decide where in my house I'm actually going to put this beauty! Happy Monday!
For more fun craft ideas, check out my new friend Beth's blog here!